Agenda and minutes

Venue: Council Chamber - Council Offices, Thorpe Road, Weeley, CO16 9AJ. View directions

Contact: Katie Sullivan - 01255 686585 

Items
No. Item

42.

Apologies for Absence and Substitutions

The Committee is asked to note any apologies for absence and substitutions received from Members.

Minutes:

An apology was received from Councillor V Guglielmi (with Councillor Nicholls substituting).

43.

Minutes of the Last Meeting pdf icon PDF 82 KB

To confirm and sign as a correct record, the minutes of the last meeting of the Committee, held on 27 February 2017.

Minutes:

The Chairman requested that the Council’s Head of Housing (Tim R Clarke) respond to Councillor Ivan Henderson with clarification regarding the £100,000 HRA deficit from cuts in Housing Related Support Funding and if the cuts completely related to Careline alarms (Minute 38 – Update on review of Spendells & Honeycroft Sheltered Housing Schemes).

 

The Chairman requested that the minutes be updated to include the clarification and that when Mr Clarke responds he also copies in members of the Service Development and Delivery Committee.

 

The minutes of the last meeting of the Committee, held on 27 February 2017, were then approved as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

44.

Declarations of Interest

Councillors are invited to declare any Disclosable Pecuniary Interests or other interest, and the nature of it, in relation to any item on the agenda.

Minutes:

Councillor Miles declared a non-pecuniary interest in item 4 on the agenda, by virtue of the fact she was a Ward Councillor for Walton.

45.

Update on Walton Lifestyles and other TDC Leisure Centres

The Committee will receive a verbal update on Walton Lifestyles and other TDC Leisure Centres.

Minutes:

The Chairman confirmed that the Council’s Corporate Director (Operational Services) had produced a written update statement on Walton Lifestyles and other TDC Leisure Centres.

 

The Council’s Head of Customer and Commercial Services (Mark Westall) read the statement out to the Committee which confirmed the following:

 

“1.   Following a comprehensive risk assessment at Walton Lifestyles, undertaken by an independent specialist water management company, all priority works have been completed.

 

2.     Whilst legionella bacteria was only identified within certain locations the entire water system serving the centre has been super chlorinated and systematically tested to ensure that legionella has been eliminated from the site.

 

3.     Risk assessments have been undertaken at all other leisure centres by the same independent water management company and any matters identified have either been remedied or are programmed to be rectified in accordance with the risk profile.

 

4.     Staff have been retrained at all sites and a comprehensive review of legionella policy has been undertaken across TDC with all appropriate actions and recommendations being implemented as required.

 

5.     I am satisfied that all necessary measures have been put in place across all TDC leisure centres to ensure that effective legionella controls are in place.

 

6.     Given the ongoing investigation by the HSE it would be inappropriate to provide any further information or to speculate on the cause or location of the legionella proliferation.”

 

The statement was NOTED.

46.

Decline in Fly Tipping Performance

The Council’s Head of Environmental Services (John Fox) will be in attendance to discuss the decline in Fly Tipping performance.

Minutes:

The Environment Portfolio Holder (Councillor Talbot) introduced the item and gave a political overview to the Committee.

           

The Council’s Head of Environmental Services (John Fox) and Street Scene Officer (Jon Hamlet) were in attendance and informed the Committee of the decline in fly tipping performance.

 

The following areas were covered:

 

·        The varying levels of fly tipping – a black bin bag to a tipper load;

·        The Council’s target for clearing 90% of all reported fly tipping incidents within 72 hours;

·        Clearing carried out by Veolia, who the Council had a contract with;

·        Reasons why performance may vary;

·        Grouping of workload where possible to help performance;

·        Statistics;

·        Difficulties/issues experienced; and

·        Causes of delays.

 

Members raised questions and concerns in regards to fly tipping which Officers responded to.

 

Following discussion, it was RECOMMENDED to Cabinet that:

 

(a)   the Service Development and Delivery Committee being concerned about the extent of fly-tipping, which is a criminal offence, around the District request Cabinet to investigate the extent of the Council’s surveillance powers and the extent of the penalties the Council could expect to be imposed if a prosecution is successful; and

 

(b)   an analysis be undertaken to understand the cost of surveillance versus possible fines that could be imposed.

 

The Committee gave thanks to Councillor Talbot, John Fox and Jon Hamlet for their excellent contributions.

 

47.

Essex County Council's proposed contribution to this Council's clear-up costs

The Council’s Head of Environmental Services (John Fox) will inform the Committee of Essex County Council’s proposed contribution to TDC’s clear-up costs.

Minutes:

The Environment Portfolio Holder (Councillor Talbot) introduced the item and gave a political overview to the Committee.

 

The Council’s Head of Environmental Services (John Fox) and Street Scene Officer (Jon Hamlet) informed the Committee of Essex County Council’s proposed contribution to this Council’s (TDC) clear-up costs.

 

Members were informed that, as of November 2016, Essex County Council (ECC) had changed the rules at recycle centres which had resulted in business waste being refused and restrictions put in place and that there had been concerns that there would be an increase in fly tipping in the District resulting from the changes to the rules.

 

Members were informed that, at many of the recycle centres in the District, businesses had been dumping their waste when they should have been taking it to a site specifically for disposal of business waste and paying for it.

 

Councillor Talbot informed the Committee that there was a verbal agreement that ECC would pay the cost of clearing up an increase in fly tipping if it should occur.

 

A leaflet provided by Essex County Council which gave guidance as to what residents could, and could not, take to recycle centres was distributed to the Committee for information.

 

The Council’s Street Scene Officer (Jon Hamlet) informed the Committee that the Council had been monitoring the figures in relation to fly tipping and that at this early stage it was difficult to spot any differences in trend since the new rules had come into place. Mr Hamlet confirmed that the figures would be checked and monitored on a month-by-month basis.

 

Members raised questions which Officers responded to.

 

Following discussion, it was RECOMMENDED that Cabinet recognise that TDC’s Environmental Services team has a good working partnership with Essex County Council.

 

The Committee gave thanks to Councillor Talbot, John Fox and Jon Hamlet again for a second excellent contribution.

 

 

 

 

48.

Report of the Head of Customer and Commercial Services - A.1 - Annual Review of the Year 2016/17 and Work Programme for 2017/18 pdf icon PDF 132 KB

To review the Committee’s work undertaken during the 2016/17 municipal year and to seek Members’ approval to a draft programme of work for the Service Development and Delivery Committee for the 2017/18 municipal year for recommendation to the Annual Council meeting on 25 April 2017.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

There was submitted a report by the Head of Customer and Commercial Services (Mark Westall), which provided the Committee with a review of the work it had carried out in the current municipal year and sought Members’ approval to a draft Work Programme for the coming 2017/2018 municipal year for recommendation to the annual meeting of the Council to be held on 25 April 2017.

 

Mr Westall explained that Appendix A to the report was a summary of what had been discussed and agreed by the Committee in the municipal year thus far. He stated that Appendix B was a suggested work programme for the Committee and that he was happy for the Committee to add any items it felt were required.

 

Following discussion by the Committee it was RESOLVED that:

 

(a)     the report on the review of the year 2016/17, as detailed in Appendix A to item A.1 of the Report of the Head of Customer and Commercial Services be noted; and

 

(b)     the draft 2017/18 Work Programme, as set out in Appendix B to the aforementioned report, be agreed and submitted to the Annual Meeting of the Council for approval, subject to:

 

·        the addition of the following item for the meeting scheduled for 9 October 2017 – Litter from fast-food outlets around the District and on the A120; and

 

·        Review of possible closure, or moth-balling of Public Conveniences, to be arranged before report goes to Cabinet – date to be confirmed.