Venue: Council Chamber - Council Offices, Thorpe Road, Weeley, CO16 9AJ. View directions
Contact: Ian Ford
Apologies for Absence and Substitutions
The Committee is asked to note any apologies for absence and substitutions received from Members.
Apologies for absence were submitted on behalf of Councillor Chittock. There were no substitutions on this occasion.
The Chairman invited Councillor Stephenson to join the meeting and to participate in the discussion of the Agenda items.
To confirm and sign as a correct record the minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 13 February 2017.
The Minutes of the meeting of the Committee, held on 13 February 2017, were approved as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.
Declarations of Interest
Councillors are invited to declare any disclosable pecuniary interests or other interest, and the nature of it, in relation to any item on the agenda.
There were none.
To provide the Committee with an overview of the Council’s actual financial position against the budget, as at the end of December 2016.
The Committee had before it a report of the Corporate Director (Corporate Services), which presented it with an overview of the Council’s actual financial position against the budget as at the end of December 2016.
The Committee was aware that, at its meeting held on 17 February 2017, Cabinet had considered the Corporate Budget Monitoring Report for the third quarter of 2016/17 and had resolved (minute 152 referred) that the financial position, as at the end of December 2016, be noted.
The Cabinet report referred to above was attached as Appendix A to item A.1 of the Report of the Corporate Director (Corporate Services) for the Committee’s consideration.
Having considered and discussed the budget monitoring report:-
It was RESOLVED that the contents of the report be noted.
It was also AGREED that the Committee COMMENTS TO CABINET that:
(a) no monies should ever be left in the “Less than one year column for Section 106 Agreement unallocated/uncommitted monies” i.e. the money should always have been allocated/committed or spent before that point;
(b) a robust system should be put in place to protect Council as much as possible from costs arising on-going major repairs/improvements to Council dwellings especially where these are as a result of tenants’ actions;
(c) Are the HRA properties periodically fully inspected and if not, why not?; and
(d) Essex County Council (ECC) should be urged to reconsider its decision to end the Supporting People funding. The Committee is disappointed that this Council did not make a public protest at the time especially given the short timescale given before ECC’s decision came into effect and is concerned that this may have set a precedent for future ECC decisions. The Committee is also concerned that the blame for any future decision to remove Sheltered Housing Wardens as a result of budgetary pressures will now be placed at the door of this Council.
To review this year’s work and to seek Members’ approval to a draft programme for the Corporate Management Committee for the coming municipal year for recommendation to the Annual Council meeting on 25 April 2017.
There was submitted a report by the Corporate Director (Corporate Services), which provided the Committee with a review of the work it had carried out in the current municipal year and sought Members’ approval to a draft Work Programme for the coming 2017/2018 Municipal Year for recommendation to the Annual Meeting of the Council to be held on 25 April 2017.
The Council’s Head of People, Performance and Projects explained that Appendix A to the report was a summary of what had been discussed and agreed by the Committee in the municipal year thus far. She stated that Appendix B was a suggested work programme for the Committee and she invited the Committee to add any extra items it felt were required.
Following discussion by the Committee it was RESOLVED that:
(a) the report on the review of the year municipal 2016 to 2017, as detailed in Appendix A to item A.2 of the report of the Corporate Director (Corporate Services), be noted; and
(b) the draft 2016/17 Work Programme, as set out in Appendix B to the aforementioned report, be agreed and submitted to the Annual Meeting of the Council for approval, subject to the inclusion of the following items:
(i) the inclusion of two further meetings in the work programme which will be held on 24 July and 16 October 2017;
(ii) topics to be included on the agenda for the 26 June 2017 meeting to now include details of statutory and non-statutory budgets and details of write-offs arising from fraud and council tax benefit over-payments;
(iii) topics to be included on the agenda for the 24 July 2017 meeting will include an update on waste and recycling performance and details of the finance and future business plans for Leisure Services.
To consider the draft Asset Management Plan, Property Strategy, Property Programme, Procedure Rules and consequent Constitution amendments.
The Committee had before it a report (and appendices thereto) of the Corporate Director (Corporate Services) which sought the Committee’s comments on the draft Asset Management Plan, Property Strategy, Property Programme, Procedure Rules and proposed amendments to the Council’s Constitution.
Members were informed that:
· the adoption of an Asset Management Plan (AMP) was no longer mandatory, nor was it a budget and policy framework document but it was considered to be good practice proposed that the AMP was be adopted by full Council together with the necessary changes to the Council’s Constitution;
· the AMP, Property Strategy and updated procedure rules had been outstanding Auditors’ requirements for some years; and
· Officers had produced a suite of policy and procedure documents with a high level AMP and subsidiary documents.
The Committee had before it the Appendices to the report which set out the contents of the following:
The Head of Property Services (Andy White) informed the Committee of a change to the timelines insofar as those documents that needed further Member approval would now go to Cabinet on 21 April 2017 and full Council on 9 May 2017.
The Chairman and Committee Members placed on record their appreciation of Mr White’s hard work over many months on this project and congratulated him on the high quality of his documents.
After discussion of the report and its appendices it was AGREED that the Committee COMMENTS TO CABINET that:
(a) the Council’s attitude should be that “if we don’t need it and its costing us money then we dispose of it”;
(b) robust action/business plans should be put in place to deliver the aspirational aspects of the Property Programme;
(c) the Property Programme should cover at least a three period in order to take into account the next District Council Elections; and
(d) the need for an Integrated Transport Plan should be included, where appropriate, in the documents.