Venue: Connaught Room - Town Hall, Station Road, Clacton-on-Sea, CO15 1SE. View directions
Contact: Ian Ford
To provide the Committee with the opportunity to comment on the Cabinet’s updated Financial Baseline 2017/18 and proposals for a revised budget for 2016/17 and original budget for 2017/18.
Apologies for absence were submitted on behalf of Councillor Whitmore.
Following the adjournment of the meeting on 19 December 2016 the Committee resumed and considered the following matters:
The Chief Executive introduced the session and reminded the Committee that the purpose of the day was to review and scrutinise the budget for 2017/18, consider any suggestions/ideas and make recommendations to the Cabinet. He also highlighted the differentiations between revenue and capital budgets and “one-off” and “ongoing” projects/commitments and their separate budgetary impacts. He also invited Members to put forward matters to be included on the agendas for future All-Member Briefing.
The Planning and Regeneration Portfolio Holder, accompanied by the Head of Regeneration, attended the meeting and answered Members’ questions on:-
(1) Community Rail Partnership – what does the Council get for its contribution?;
(2) Proposed Rail Maintenance Depot in Manningtree Area; and
(3) What are the Council’s plans for spending the SME Growth Fund, the Development Growth Fund and the Business Investment and Growth budgets?
The Environment Portfolio Holder, accompanied by the Head of Environmental Services and the Technical Officer, then attended the meeting and answered Members’ questions on:-
(1) Recycling – what is the Council doing to increase recycling and increase recycling credits?;
(2) Charges for Garden Waste Collection;
(3) Dog Warden Service – what does the Council get in return for its expenditure?;
(4) Devices for “tracking” Dogs;
(5) Public Health Specialist – what is the role and what return does get on its expenditure?; and;
(6) Street Sweeping Contract – what are the arrangements for monitoring the contractors?
The Tourism and Culture Portfolio Holder, accompanied by the Head of Sport and Leisure, then attended the meeting and answered Members’ questions on:-
(1) Clacton Air Show – what are the plans to increase income from sponsorship and bucket collection/sales in order to remove the cost pressure and make the Air Show self-financing?;
(2) Arrangements for the sale of Air Show Programmes;
(3) Potential for outsourcing of sponsorship/marketing to a third party; and
(4) Potential for an iPhone application for the Air Show.
The Leisure, Well-being and Partnerships Portfolio Holder, accompanied by the Head of Sport and Leisure, then attended the meeting and answered Members’ questions on:
(1) Sports Centres – what are the reasons for the decline in income?; what are the business plans to make them self-financing and increase usage?; and what are the plans to get grant funding?;
(2) Catering and other retail opportunities at Clacton Leisure Centre;
(3) Impacts of the temporary closure of Frinton and Walton Swimming Pool;
(4) Implications of ceasing the JCCs at the Sports Centres;
(5) Underuse of the Hard Courts at Clacton Leisure Centre;
(6) Outsourcing of Leisure Centres;
(7) Avenues to get external grants e.g. via Sport England;
(8) Princes Theatre – what is the long-term business plan?;
(9) Refurbishment of the Princes Theatre toilets;
(10) Essex Hall – why have the hire charges been reduced given that it has just been redecorated and ... view the full minutes text for item 49.