Decision Maker: Corporate Director (Economy & Place)
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The signing of this agreement will support the
prosperity and wellbeing of communities across North Essex
The agreement is inspired by the national Civic University Network which is campaigning to ensure universities maximise their impact within their communities and embed civic aspirations in their work to drive forward positive social change.
As well as Tendring District Council, the agreement is signed by the following partners:
-University of Essex
-Colchester City Council
-Essex County Council
-North East Essex Health and Wellbeing Alliance
The MOU is attached to this decision and sets out the basis for the agreement to work in collaboration, but the key points are set out below:
1. To work together as anchor institutions to tackle challenges in health inequalities, deprivation, and skills to improve the opportunities available and regeneration outcomes that are particularly relevant to local communities.
2. To support economic growth in Essex.
3. To work together on the Centre for Coastal Communities.
4. To contribute to the growth of the University.
5. To ensure the developing Tendring / Colchester Borders Garden Community represents an opportunity for growth in jobs, improved transport links, economic prosperity and well planned housing as well as providing skills development and opportunities for residents.
6. To further develop opportunities and a programme of work that contributes to each organisation's strategies for net zero and reduces carbon emissions.
To sign an agreement with key partners,
including the University of Essex, on a collaborative agenda, to
support improved opportunities, prosperity and well-being for local
Option 1 - As above
Option 2 - Not to Sign the Agreement. This was not considered an alternative option, as the Council would have lost the opportunity to work collaboratively with key partners to strive for improved opportunities for local people.
Publication date: 13/11/2023
Date of decision: 13/11/2023